"You can have the best strategy and the best building in the world. But if you don't win the hearts and minds of the people who work with you, none of it will come true" - Rene West, President of the Luxor and Excalibur Hotel.
Me and our company agree a hundred percent with this statement. Why? Well, let's go in order.
We spend most of our time at work. Working time is 8 hours, which is half of our allotted 16, not including 8 hours of sleep. We have about 8 hours left for communication with the family, everyday life and hobbies. I am sure that you feel how much of your life is spent at work. Most people are horrified by these statistics, so our task is to hire people who love what they do, and also create all the necessary conditions for employee comfort, because a satisfied employee means a good product, which means a satisfied customer. The formula is very simple.
But what does "comfort conditions" mean? What are they? Is it a comfortable chair, the best technology, the most elite coffee beans and a hundred kilograms of biscuits of various kinds? This undoubtedly has weight, but can a person be content only with material goods, is that really enough for him? The whole charm of modern society is that this is not enough for us. Therefore, it is very important to create the right atmosphere in the office, or, to be more precise, the culture in the company.
Now the corporate culture is one of the key factors for the successful and productive work of an employee, because it is always nice to understand that you are taken care of not only as an employee, but also as a person. Therefore, in our company, we are all open to each other, we value honesty, mutual assistance and empathy.
We provide this and much more to our employees, because it is important for a person. But what is important for me as a recruiter and for our company when choosing the right candidate for a job?
- As for any employer, the practical knowledge of a person, his professionalism are important to us, but this is just the top of the iceberg.
- As I pointed out above, the atmosphere in the company is important to us, and it is just the employees who create it, so it is important to get to know the person closer at the interview, to find out his values, his motivation, his hobbies and tastes. We are always happy to help a person develop professionally. Unfortunately, it is more difficult to do this with personal qualities. “At work, everything is like in life: people just have to fit each other” - Svetlana Ivanova “The Art of Recruitment”
- Desire and commitment to learning. The IT industry is developing very rapidly, so you need to absorb new information all the time in order to stay afloat.
- Knowledge of English. It is important for us to keep a clear connection with our clients, so it is important for a developer to know the language in order to understand how he can improve the product he is working on.
- Interest and love for what you do. This is an important point, because a person who does not enjoy his work is an unhappy person (remember how much time we spend at work). An unhappy employee = a toxic employee.
This is only a small part of the backstage of our company, but very important. Each employee for us is not just an employee, but a friend of the company. Therefore, I select new people to our team with trepidation and attentiveness.
“We will teach good people to work, but we will not let bad people” - Yaroslav Krutikov, director of UFO Engineering.